If you are missing a tooth you know it can have a significant impact on your life. Not only can it make you feel self-conscious when you smile, but it can also cause problems with your bite and make it difficult to eat certain foods. If you’re missing teeth, you should consider getting dental implants as a long-term solution. Unlike dentures, which can slip and move around in your mouth, dental implants are permanently anchored into your jawbone. They look and feel like natural teeth, and they can last for many years! In this article we will explain why it is important to replace missing teeth with dental implants.
Why is it important to replace missing teeth?
There are several reasons why it is important. Here’s a short list for you to consider:
- Eating is easier: When you are missing teeth, foods can be difficult to consume. This is because you may not be able to bite or chew properly. With dental implants, however, you will not have this problem as they function just like your natural teeth.
- Aesthetics: Dental implants look and feel like natural teeth. This means that you can smile with confidence knowing that your teeth look great! Nobody will know that you were missing a tooth.
- Prevents bone loss: When you lose a tooth, the bone around it can start to deteriorate. This is because there is no longer anything stimulating it. Dental implants help to prevent this by providing stimulation to the bone and keeping it healthy.
- Your face shape can change: When you lose teeth, it can cause your face to change shape. This is because the bone around the tooth begins to shrink when there is no longer a tooth present. Dental implants help to keep your face looking its best by filling in the gaps left by missing teeth.
- Other teeth can be lost: When you lose a tooth, the teeth surrounding it can become loose. This is because there is no longer anything to support them. Dental implants help to keep your other teeth healthy and in place by providing support.
What are my restoration options if I lose a tooth?
If you lose a tooth, you have a few different options to replace it. The most common are:
- Dental implants: As we mentioned before, dental implants are the best option as they look and feel like natural teeth. They also provide support for the surrounding teeth and help to keep your face shape looking its best.
- Dentures: Dentures are another option, but they can be less comfortable and can slip and move around in your mouth.
- Bridge: A bridge is another common option, especially if you are missing several teeth in a row. The teeth on either end will need to be healthy and strong though.
- Partial denture: A partial denture is an option if you are only missing a few teeth. It is similar to a full denture, but it only covers a portion of your mouth.
Why are dental implants the best choice?
There are several reasons why dental implants are the best choice for replacing missing teeth. Here’s what you need to know about dental implants:
- Permanently placed: You don’t need to remove them at night. In fact, you wont be able to.
- Stability: Because dental implants are fused into your jawbone, they are strong and allow you to eat all the foods you love.
- Natural-looking: As we mentioned before, dental implants look and feel like your natural teeth.
- Long lasting: With proper care, dental implants can last a lifetime!
- No special care needed: Simply brush and floss like you would your natural teeth.
- The only option that will prevent bone loss: Dental implants help to prevent this by providing stimulation to the bone and keeping it healthy. Dentures and bridges will not help prevent bone loss in your jaw.
- Improved confidence: Dental implants allow you to smile with confidence knowing that your teeth look great! Most patients say that they wish they had done it sooner.
What are the downsides to dental implants?
The only real downside to dental implants is that they are a more expensive option. Most insurances will not cover them either, so you will need to come up with cash out of pocket in most instances.
However, they are worth the investment as they are a long-term solution and have the most advantages of any of the other options.
You should replace missing teeth with dental implants! If you’re considering dental implants, we encourage you to talk to your dentist about whether or not they are right for you.